Sunday 8 March 2015

An Influential Event

An influential event.
An influential event that has shaped my life and who I am now is when I was nominated to as the President of the Student Council in Secondary School. I was in the student council since secondary one and I realized that I have a strong interest in events management. I decided to try out as a member of the executive committee. After a series of interviews and voting, I am fortunate and honored to be nominated as the President of the sixth student council.

I have become someone who is more confident after taking up this role as a president in the student council. I have to speak in front of the whole school regularly and I have to be confident enough to speak to people whom I do not really know personally. I have also learned about the importance of being decisive and being able to take up the responsibility of certain decisions in life. I have to take responsibility of the things that is proposed by the student council. Therefore, I have to constantly check on my members to make sure that things were going on the right track.


From this event, I have become someone who is more people oriented. I have also gained valuable leadership skills which enables me to work better both as a leader and team player. The most important takeaway is how I have adopted a more positive outlook on life. I have encountered many difficult times. However, the most important thing to do is to be more optimistic. This way, you will then be able to overcome the difficulties that you are facing. Things will only change if you look at it from a more positive angle. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shaun!! :)

    This is an interesting post. It is a good insight from the point of view of someone who led the Student Council. I like how you brought up comparisons on how you changed after being nominated as the President. This can also be a good lesson for anyone who wants to know what holding a leadership role feels like.

    This is post is definitely written by heart. You expressed your emotions a lot which is good. Your post feels personal to me. You did not only described your feelings but you also went about to describe the process of the changes you experienced after being the president of the student council :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaun, I have friends from student council as well. I always feel that they carry a lot more responsibility than us. They have to be the bridge of communication between students and teachers in school. Also, their workload is a lot more than us. I was once a committee member for my CCA as well, I can totally understand the hard time you experienced.
    I feel that your essay is well written with heart that you specify a lot of things you learned from this influential event. It is indeed an influential event that could change one's sense of responsibility and maturity. Also, you made really good takeaway point, I should note that down too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting post, Shaun. I like the way you tie the experience to your own traits. (My only advice is that you should check the verb tense usage.)

    ReplyDelete